It’s been a minute since I jumped on here to share more of my life and journey with homeschooling. I homeschool three children, officially, even though my four year old is dabbling in some things already. He loves to learn, so I figured, why not?
Ok, so I’m pretty sure I covered math and spelling last time, so let me cover some of my favorite things for reading and bones.
One of the best things for reading, is just that….reading books. You can do your own reading programs with books you can pick up from the library or from those already on your shelf, if you want. I do a lot of that. For instance, we are reading through The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and for each chapter, as we read, I come up with questions to ask them at the end of the story. They have to tell give me the answers and it helps me know if they are comprehending what they’re reading or hearing and what areas need help. It’s fun, it’s simple and they enjoy it.
But, if you’re like me, sometimes having something there that I don’t have to think about already, and is created for reading comprehension, then I love this https://timberdoodle.com/pages/search-results-page?q=mosdos+literature
It’s called Mosdos Press Literature. Right now, we are using Opal (grade 3). It comes with a student reading book and a student workbook. The workbook goes hand-in-hand with the reading book and asks questions they have to answer and gives activities for them to do. We really enjoy it. The stories are clean and inspiring, and colorful! My kids love color and gives them gumption to do school more. Mosdos Press Literature has workbooks and reading books all the way up to 12th grade, so you’re covered for reading through their entire homeschool years. Like I said though, it’s nice to throw in some fun books to read. I’ll link some of my favorite sets below.
- The Prince Warriors Set by Priscilla Shier https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Warriors-Deluxe-Box-Set/dp/1462796761/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PJB3ANYROQ9R&keywords=prince+warrior+series&qid=1580157520&sprefix=prince+warri%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-3
- Meet the Glimmer Girls by Natalie Grant https://www.amazon.com/Meet-Glimmer-Girls-Box-Faithgirlz/dp/0310631424/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2O5LSCW7PFSGK&keywords=natalie+grant+books+for+girls&qid=1580157751&sprefix=Natalie+grant%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-1
- C.S Lewis Lion/Witch/Wardrobe Series https://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia-Box-Set-Lewis/dp/0061992887/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A525HONLDQ2N&keywords=cs+lewis+lion+witch+and+the+wardrobe+series&qid=1580157790&sprefix=CS+Lewis+%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-1
- Little Britches Series by Ralph Moody (ps. needs parental oversight/editing). https://www.amazon.com/ABs-Ralph-Moody-vol-set/dp/1597653985/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=little+britches&qid=1580157833&sr=8-2
- Christian Heroes https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Heroes-Books-1-5-Gift/dp/1576582086/ref=pd_sbs_14_1/136-7835678-7707322?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1576582086&pd_rd_r=11abe3dc-a549-42e2-81e8-eff0472e427e&pd_rd_w=RpwJF&pd_rd_wg=5jHIx&pf_rd_p=bdd201df-734f-454e-883c-73b0d8ccd4c3&pf_rd_r=J70WGCN01RJ211T55JSZ&psc=1&refRID=J70WGCN01RJ211T55JSZ
- I Survived: The Series https://www.amazon.com/Survived-Adventures-Disasters-Survival-American/dp/1338624075/ref=sr_1_51?keywords=history+for+kids+set&qid=1580158329&s=books&sr=1-51
Ok, so now that we covered books and reading materials, let’s talk about Bones! So we do different science things, like Kiwi Co, Owl Crate and things like that, but for book work, I love, love, LOVE Dr. Bonyfide. The books are very fun and even I am learning all about phalanges and other things. I can’t stress enough how much fun we have with this book. I am going to link to the page for all ages and grades, but I suggest, even if you have a 5th grader, that you just start with Book 1 and go through all of them. I also love science kits from Amazon. I’ll link those as well.
- Dr. Bonyfide https://timberdoodle.com/pages/search-results-page?q=bones
- Kiwi Co https://www.kiwico.com
- Owl Crate https://www.owlcrate.com
- Scientific Explorer https://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Explorer-First-Blowing-Science/dp/B000BURAP2/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_pm?ac_md=1-0-VW5kZXIgJDI1-ac_d_pm&crid=2HM17N5F0T0F9&cv_ct_cx=science+kit+for+kids+8-12&keywords=science+kit+for+kids+8-12&pd_rd_i=B000BURAP2&pd_rd_r=d9349323-0db2-45fb-95ee-f6a512668e44&pd_rd_w=fzS9f&pd_rd_wg=MvLNP&pf_rd_p=b8b03b37-bd30-4468-adff-11c42ccb6582&pf_rd_r=4EF1H1S053216JQ3ET8M&psc=1&qid=1580160190&sprefix=science+%2Caps%2C202&sr=1-1-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0
- Plays Kaboom! https://www.amazon.com/Playz-Kaboom-Explosive-Combustion-Science/dp/B075RV2ZRR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2HM17N5F0T0F9&keywords=science+kit+for+kids+8-12&qid=1580160190&sprefix=science+%2Caps%2C202&sr=8-5
I hope this gives you some fun ideas, or new ideas, or encourages you to dive into homeschooling. It can be fun! The first year I homeschooled, I was so exasperated and frustrated and nearly gave up. The second year was a little easier when I started using the Charter school and had support and friends around me. And then my third year, it was way easier and more fun. We are headed into our fourth year and I don’t plan on giving up any time soon. While I do miss kind of having more time during the day to keep my house clean or read a book that I want to read, or do crafts, etc, I am committed and finding out that homeschooling can be so much fun.
Also want to mention that online programs like ABC Mouse, Adventure Academy, Tynker, Education (dot com), Minecraft Education Edition, Reading Eggs and Math Seeds, and Hooked on Phonics are some of my favorites. I just remembered a couple more; Beast Academy and Kids Discovery Online.
Have a fabulous homeschooling journey!!